Alesse birth control is a contraceptive means for oral administration. The main active substance is synthetic gestagen levonorgestrel — derivative of nortestosterone. As estrogenic component, synthetic estrogen ethinyl estradiol is used, which enhances contraceptive effect of levonorgestrel. Ethinyl estradiol when administered orally is 100 times more active than natural estradiol.
Contraceptive effect of Alesse consists of several mechanisms:
- suppression of ovulation, mechanism of which appears due to inhibition of production of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormones at the level of hypothalamic-pituitary system;
- inhibitory effect on ovaries by feedback type;
- slowing of peristalsis of fallopian tubes, preventing penetration of the egg into uterine cavity;
- anti-implantation effect due to early secretory transformation of endometrium;
- increasing of viscosity of cervical mucus, making it difficult for sperm to penetrate uterus.
According to Canadian HealthCare Mall data, such combination of pharmacological effects makes it possible to provide a high degree of reliability of hormonal contraception with Pearl index of 0,2 — 0,3.
It is used as a means of contraception and regulation of menstrual cycle in reproductive age. Eliminates manifestations of ovulatory and premenstrual syndromes.
Due to low dosage of hormones, the drug is tolerated well by the majority of women.
The most often observed Alesse side effects: mood swings, nausea, vomiting, headaches. It should be noted that such phenomena are most often observed in the first 2-3 months of admission and disappear with a longer application.
- Central and peripheral nervous system: intracranial hypertension, bulbospinal paralysis, emotional lability, fast fatigue.
- Cardiovascular system: thrombophilia.
- Digestive system: flatulence.
- Reproductive system: metrorrhagia, tension and enlargement of mammary glands, changes in libido.
- Sense organs: intolerance to contact lenses.
- Dermatological manifestations: chloasma, erythema nodosum.
- Allergic reactions.
Canadian Health and Care Mall advises to stop administration of Alesse:
- in case of first occurring, increased or intensified migraine-like headaches, with acute worsening of visual acuity, with suspicion of thrombosis or miacardial infarction;
- in case of sharp increase in blood pressure, with development of jaundice or hepatitis without jaundice, in case of intense itching throughout the body, with occurrence or more frequent epileptic seizures;
- in case of planned surgery (6 weeks before surgery), with prolonged immobilization (for example, after injuries) and during pregnancy.